Wednesday, June 15, 2005

An Aside

I recently received a mail from Vibhu urging me to list my favourite books on the site.

Given the nature of this blog, it seemed to me that I should focus on investing related books rather than a general reading list. That's of course not to say that I have this single-minded focus on reading management tomes. I do read serious, high-brow classics like Asterix, Tintin, Dilbert, Red Riding Hood... but then there's probably a different and better forum for holding forth on those!

The following are (in order of preference) on my list of 'highly recommended' books for investors like me:

  1. One Up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch - excellent teachings on finding small and mid-cap winners. You can read an excellent synopsis of the book and Lynch's teachings here
  2. Buffetology and The New Buffetology by Mary Buffet - Buffet's modus operandi, mainly oriented towards finding large-cap stocks at a good price
  3. Rich Dad, Poor Dad - the book that inspired me to think about my finances and set me firmly on the path to a comfortable and early retirement (hope springs eternal...)
  4. The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - quite a tome, but this is by the guru of value investing and eminently worth a read

These four books are enough to help any small investor do well in stocks, provided he / she is willing to devote time and effort towards understanding and applying the lessons in these books to their hard-earned money.

4 comments:

cvrk said...

Any recommendation of books by Indian Authors?

Amit said...

Unfortunately, no. I haven't found any really good books by Indians on value investing.

Will keep a look out, though.

adarsh adarsh said...

here are some books i bought on good reccomendation which i hopefully will read some day....

Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits
by Philip Fisher

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
by Edwin Lefèvre

Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises
by Charles P. Kindleberger

cvrk said...

Hello,
thank you for your comments in the blog indianmutualfunds.blogspot.com.
I do agree with the views expressed. I am also confident that you will agree with me that the tenor of the post, was to indicate that do not say no no to equity market, to our generally stock market averse investors. The portfolio of mutual funds does not exist in the saving portfolio of Indians, as there are perception that stock market investments are " bad" trait of investment. Once again thanking you for your views and inviting to offer your suggestions to cvrkswami @gmail.com.